Sunday, November 25, 2012

Forty Odd Years

Today is the fortieth anniversary of my birth. For two score revolutions around that big ball of fire in the sky, I’ve made my home on this third stone from the Sun. They’ve been a mixed forty years, filled with many pleasures and many sorrows, much like everyone’s life, but the hills usually outnumber the valleys, and it sure beats the alternative.

I have big schemes in mind for the coming year, and if the universe is kind, I’ll see them to fruition and be able to share them with you, the loyal and long-suffering reader who has shared the past five years of my journey here on the Society of Torch, Pole and Rope.

Looking back on the trip, I remain in awe of how different my life is now than it was when I first posted “Saha” back on August 21st, 2008. I’ve gone from a lapsed gamer to an industry professional. The men and women who I idolized in my youth are now my colleagues, and in some cases, my friends. I get to share my words and my creations not with a handful of friends around the gaming table, but with thousands of people around the world. The bizarre ideas that percolate in my head are no longer granted the breath of life by my ill-trained hands, but by an incredible array of talented artists and cartographers. I get to take this little dog-and-pony show of mine on the road, where I meet fellow gamers, sign autographs for fans who seem genuinely pleased to meet me, and greet people who I hitherto only knew from online correspondence, putting names to faces and sharing some laughs around the dealers’ tables. It’s a strange celebrity, a type that my non-gaming friends and family don’t quite understand, but one I cherish immensely. And none of this would have happened if I hadn’t had the support of you, dear reader. To every one of you who ever bought something with my name slapped on the credits page, who took the time to read my words here, who signed up to play in one of my games, or simply offered a hand in friendship, you have my sincere and utter thanks.

I wish I could celebrate my birthday in true hobbit-fashion, giving you all gifts for coming along on the journey so far with me, but alas, there are too many of you now and doing so would strip my smial bare (worse than even the Sackville-Baggins did poor Bilbo’s). Please accept my thanks and the knowledge that I’m very grateful of your ongoing support, instead.

For those who practice non-hobbit birthday traditions and would like to do something nice to celebrate my slow journey away from the hunter’s fire to that of the clan elders, I’d ask this: Help spread the word and keep me employed! Purchase a copy of my work and give it to a friend. Write a review of Emirikol Was Framed! or the new Dungeon Alphabet. Add the new Stonehell Dungeon Google+ page to your circles. Pre-order one of my upcoming adventures from Goodman Games. Even a kind word to a friend about something I’ve penned would mean a lot to me. I’ve gone far in these past forty years, but if I’m blessed, my journey’s far from over and I hope there’s still some life in these seven-league boots of mine. With your on-going support, I intend to keep walking this professional path and sharing my dreams (and nightmares) with others.

-Mike

11 comments:

ravencrowking said...

Happy Birthday, Mike!

Joe Bardales said...

Happy Birthday, Sir!

ClawCarver said...

Dammit, what? You're younger than I am? You're even younger than my little brother? Bah.

Happy birthday anyway! Stonehell Dungeon marked my return to DMing (and regular gaming) after a 17-year hiatus. Your work continues to inspire. Here's to many more years of the dog-and-pony show.

Anthony Simeone said...

Happy birthday! I'll spare you the "Lordy Lordy look who's 40!" thing... Oh wait I just typed it :) anyway congrats on your success in the gaming biz and good luck with your future endeavors.

Digital Orc said...

As a fellow gamer who has recently bought the Dungeon Alphabet, I thank you for your service and wish you a happy b day!

Michael Curtis said...

Thanks, everyone! I celebrated the day by working on new projects, so even though I couldn't give you all presents on my birthday, hopefully you'll eventually get some enjoyment out of my labors.

Brutorz Bill said...

Happy Birthday, and here's to 40 more!

Matthew Schmeer said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

AndreasDavour said...

Happy New Year, Mike!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, and wishes for many many more healthybirthdays to come!

Anonymous said...

Like Bilbo Baggins, you are looking mighty well preserved. But you'll "take to the water" soon enough. See you out at Devil's Reef.